Thursday 16 July 2015

MOISTURISING DRY HAIR

As an African, having a dry hair is normal. Our hair is not straight and that is one of the reasons most of us use chemical (relaxer) to loosen the curls. Loosening the curls doesn't determine an oily hair. My hair is texlaxed, dry and coarse. I moisturise my hair every day and yet during the day my hair feels dry. There are ways moisture can be returned to our hair despite the harsh weather and our hair type.

Drinking enough water is one of the most important step we must take into practice. Drink water when you feel thirsty and when you do not feel thirsty. I drink 3 or more litres of water every day.

It doesn't just end up in drinking  water. Our hair also thirst for water. One of the important ways of combating dryness is to spray our hair with water, during the day and at night. I would recommend spraying your hair with water and glycerin. Fill your spray bottle with one quarter glycerin and then fill it up with water. After spraying, follow up with a leave in conditioner.

If you cannot find a glycerin, buy a moisturiser. I use Scurl no drip moisturiser or soft and beautiful Botanicals. I make sure I apply more to my new growth and to length of my hair.

I moisturise my hair in sections so the moisturiser can be able to reach the sections craving for moisture


Before moisturising, I use Organics by African best cholesterol tea-tree oil. it is a leave-in or rinse out conditioner. I use it as a leave in conditioner or you can follow up with any choice of yours, and then seal with an oil (Olive oil, shea butter, grape seed oil, almond oil or castor oil). Just make sure you use what works for you.

WEEKLY REGIMEN
1.Deep condition- A deep conditioning treatment every week can be helpful in combating dry hair. I use ORS deep conditioner. I am still hoping to get my hands on another.


There are other good deep conditioners like the shea moisture deep treatment masque, Cantu shea butter natural hair deep conditioning hair masque and Crème of nature argan oil intensive conditioning treatment.


2. Co-Washing (link)

Every other day, I spritz my hair with water and olive oil, cover with a heat cap for 30 minutes or sleep with the heat cap. I do this most times when my hair feels dry.

Note
If you haven't sealed in your moisture with an oil, you haven't moisturised at all.


Thanks for reading.

Love always, Martyna.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you.