Thursday 18 June 2015

EXTENSION AND HAIR CARE.




How do I take care of my hair under a weave or when I braid? Every one starting a healthy hair journey is always anxious to know.

For me, extensions was what really damaged my nape and edges. Extensions are protective hair styles but if you do not care for your hair under an extention, it becomes a barrier to healthy hair.

Before my hair journey, I was always on braids and I've suffered severe breakage. Infact, that was what pushed me into taking care of my hair And when I started my hair journey, I began to understand the cons and pros of wearing extentions.

Cons Of Using Extention.
1. Tight braids expecially around your hair line can pull off your hair.

2. Heavy extensions- I am so guilty of this. Hair loss is caused due to weight and tension of braids. A condition known as traction alopecia.

3. Neglecting your hair whilst wearing extention- Seriously, this is a major issue. When I started my hair journey, my friend saw me washing my braids and she screamed "don't do that! Your hair is going to tangle. And that is the idea we are living with.
Note: Washing your braids do not tangle your hair but neglecting your hair does.

Pros Of Using Extention.
1. It is a protective style and can be worn for weeks thereby avoiding combs and frequent use of hands on our hair to detangle or style.

2. It prevents exposure to sun or harmattan which dries up the hair.

HOW I CARE FOR MY BRAIDS

Wash days (Every two weeks)
1. I oil my scalp with olive oil.

2. I wash with a sulphate free shampoo, paying more attention to my scalp.

3. Rinse out the shampoo and condition when damp. Allow the conditioner to sit in for 30 minutes.

4. Rinse out and dry with a towel.

5. I blow dry, focusing more on the braids rather than my scalp. When it's almost dry, I apply my leave in conditioner, preferably a spray leave in conditioner. I apply more to my braids and less to my scalp to avoid build ups.

6. I seal with olive oil (i.e applying oil to my braids after applying leave in).

Daily basis
1. I spray my hair by mixing olive oil and water in my spray bottle. 

2. I moisturise, focusing on where my hair ends.

I am still growing my nape and edges. So if your nape is damaged, we can start this journey together.

Xoxo.

With love, Martyna.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful lady 😊
    This has always been a problem for me too. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks😊. I hope your problem is solved

      Delete

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you.