Friday 4 September 2015

Benefits of deep conditioning with a plastic bag/shower cap

August is gone, September is here. The year is finally coming to an end. Happy new month to you all. Hope you have achieved your plans for the year and if you haven't, we still have 3 months before the year ends.

The hype about deep conditioning has been going on since naturals, relaxed and texlaxed ladies have been putting on extra effort to understand what their hair needs.

Before now, I would go to the salon and get my hair washed without even bothering if my hair was conditioned. Yes! That's the truth. I did not understand the difference it will make to my hair. I didn't even understand the difference between a protein conditioner, a rinse out conditioner or a moisture deep condtioner. But now, I clearly understand the importance and I cannot do without it, most importantly, a moisture based deep conditioner.


There are so many deep conditioner out there and I've used just two which is  the African's best deep conditioner and crème of nature intensive conditioning treatment and these two works well for me so far. I always add a little oil and honey to my deep conditioner. I have also tried DIY deep conditioner which didn't work quite well for me but I am always tempted to try again or maybe a different one all together.

A deep conditioner is meant to be left on the hair for 15 to 30 minutes and preferably, using a plastic bag or shower cap.

Conditioners are of three major types;
1. Protein deep conditioner
2. Rinse out conditioner
3. Moisture Deep conditioner.

Click here to read about protein conditioner and the rinse out conditioner can be used for co-washing. But today, I am focusing more on deep conditioner.

I can't go a week without deep conditioning my hair and the good thing about using a deep conditioner is that it gets the chance of been effective by leaving it in the hair longer and thereby allows heat to penetrate.

Benefits of deep conditioner

1. For those with dry hair, deep conditioning your hair weekly can add moisture to your hair and make your hair bounce back.

2. Your hair elasticity will improve because of the emollients and the moisturising ingredients in the conditioner. These ingredients softens hair damaged by chemical processes such as perming, hair colours, heat exposure (such as flat ironing, curling and of course, the damaging effect of sun).

There are other ingredients that can be added for a deeper deep conditioning such as honey, olive oil, coconut oil, grapeseed oil, avocado oil, shea butter and all these ingredients can benefit the hair in different ways.

Benefits of using a plastic bag/ shower cap


If you want your deep conditioning to work more for you, consider heating it up because heating it increases the effectiveness of the conditioner, making your hair super soft and smooth. 

Deep conditioning with heat enables the hair shaft to swell and allows the conditioner to go inside.

Note that Deep condtioner are thicker than rinse out conditioners. And if you still can't identify the difference between a deep conditioner and a rinse out conditioner, go through the instructions on the product of choice and if says rinse after 1 minute, then it is a rinse out conditioner but if it says leave on for 15 to 30 minutes, then it is a deep conditioner.

Thanks for reading.

Love always, Martyna.

2 comments:

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you.